I movedto Australia form UK in 2006 after completing my internal medicine training. I then completed training in medical oncology at Monash Health and Western Health before completing fellowship in thoracic malignancies and Head & Neck Cancers at Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre. Subsequently, I completed Doctor of Medicine degree from Monash University where my area of research was bio-marker discovery and cancer stem cells in Breast and Lung Ca
I have public appointments at Monash Health, where I am the lead clinician in thoracic, H&N and Melanoma tumour streams. I am also keen researcher and currently investigating several n
ovel therapies as a principal investigator on many clinical trials. I also collaborate with Lab scientist via my association with The Hudson Institute of Medical Research at Monash University.
I am married with 2 kids. I am a keen sportsperson and keep myself fit by playing squash. I also play cricket for Mount Eliza Team.
Thoracic, H&N, Skin/Melanoma, Clinical Trials
Monash Medical Centre, Melbourne, Australia
Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, Melbourne, Australia
Senior Lecturer Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
Clinical Research Associate Hudson Institute of Medical Research, Melbourne, Australia
Medical Oncologist Peninsula Health
- Lum C, Alamgeer M, Technological and therapeutic advances in small cell lunc cancer. Cancers, 2019; 11(10).pii:E1570
- Leong T, Gayevskiy V, Steinfort D, Massy M, Marini K, Alamgeer M, et al. Deep multi-region whole-genome sequencing reveals heterogeneity and gene-by-environment interactions in treatment-naïve, metastatic lung cancer. Oncogene, 2018 38(10)1 DOI:10.1038/s41388-018-0536-1
- Marini K, Croucher D, McCloy R, Vaghjiani V, Gonzalez-Rajal A, Alamgeer M, et al. Inhibition of activin signalling in lung adenocarcinoma increases the therapeutic index of platinum chemotherapy. Science Translational Medicine 2018 10(451) DOI: 10.1126/scitranslmed.aat3504
- Balasubramanian A, Pick A, Kumar B, Prodanovic Z, Joshi P, Alamgeer M. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 2019 37(15-suppl):e20070-e20070
- Alamgeer M, Watkins N, Banakh, et al. A phase IIa study of HA-irinotecan, formulation of hyaluronic acidmand irinotecan targeting CD44 in extensive-stage small cell lung cancer. Investigational New Drugs, 2017 DOI: 10.1007/s10637-017-0555-8
- Muscat A, popovski D, Jayasekara S, Rossello F, Ferguson M, Marini K, Alamgeer M, Algar E, Downie P, Watkins N, Cain J, Ashley D. Low-Dose histone deacetylase inhibitor treatment leads to tumour growth arrest and multi-lineage differentiation of malignant rhabdoid tumours. Clinical Cancer Research, 2016; DOI: 10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-15-2260
- Boolell V, Alamgeer M, Watkins N, Ganju V. The evolution of therapies in Non-small cell lung cancer. Cancers, 2015, 7(3):1815-1846
- Alamgeer M, Ganju V, Kumar B, Fox J, Hart S, White M, Harris M, Stuckey J, Prodanovic Z, Schneider-Kolsky MS, Watkins DN. Changes in aldehyde dehydrogenase-1 expression during neoadjuvant chemotherapy predict outcome in locally advanced breast cancer. Breast Cancer Research, 2014 16 (2).R44
- Alamgeer M, Ganju V, Szczepny A, Russell PA, Prodanovic P, Kumar B, Wainer Z, Brown TJ, Schneider-Kolsky M, Conron M, Wright G, Watkins DN. The prognostic significance of aldehyde dehydrogenase 1A1 (ALDH1A1) and CD133 in early stage non-small cell lung cancer. Thorax, 2013; 68:1095-1104
- Leong TL,Marini KD, Rossello FJ, Jayasekara SN, Russell PA, Prodanovic Z, Kumar B, Ganju V, Alamgeer M, Irving LB, Steinfort DP, Peacock CD, Cain JE, Szczepny A, Watkins DN: Genomic characterisation of small cell lung cancer patient-derived xenograft generated from endobronchial ultrasound guided transbronchial needle aspiration specimens. PLOS One, 2014; 9 e0106862.
- Alamgeer M, Peacock C,Matsui W, Ganju V, Watkins DN: Cancer stem cells in lung cancer, evidence and controversies. Respirology, 2013; 18: 757-64.
- Sweet Ng, David S, Alamgeer M, Ganju V: Impact of Pretreatment Combined 18F-Fluorodeoxyglucose Positron Emission Tomography/Computed Tomography Staging on Radiation Therapy Treatment Decisions in Locally Advanced Breast Cancer. International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology and Physics, 2015; 93: 111-117.
- Alamgeer M, Ganju V, Watkins DN: Novel therapeutic targets in NSCLC. Current opinion in pharmacology. 2013 Jun;13(3):394-401.
- Alamgeer M, Rogers T, Fox SB, Solomon B: Crizotinib for the treatment of non-small cell lung cancer with ALK gene rearrangements. Clinical Investigation 2012 2:9,895-907.
- Alamgeer M, Kumar B, Fox J, Marini K, Rossello F, Watkis DN, Ganju V: The effect of chemotherapeutic drugs on breast cancer stem cells identified by aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 (ALDH1) using serial tumour specimens. Asia-Pac J Clin Oncol 2013; 9 (Suppl.2): 49-50
- Alamgeer M, Brown TJ, Midol P, Markman B, Briggs P, Marini K, Watkins DN, Ganju V: A phase IIa study of HA-irinotecan, a formulation of hyaluronic acid and irinotecan, in the treatment of extensive stage small cell lung cancer and its effect on cancer stem-like cells. 15th International World Lung Cancer Conference, Sydeny, Australia 2013 (accepted for poster presentation)
- Alamgeer M, Brown TJ, Kumar B, Wright G, Russell P, Conron M, Wainer Z, Ganju V: Evaluation of the relationship of Cancer Stem Cell markers and the risk of recurrence in Non Small Cell Lung Cancer. 14thInternational World Lung Cancer Conference , Amsterdam, Netherlands: 2011, Oral abstract no. O15.01
- Alamgeer M, Szczepny A, Kumar B, Watkins DN, Wright G, Prodanovic Z, Ganju V: the prognostic significance of ALDEHYDE DEHYDROGENASE 1 (ALDH1) and CD133 n early-stage NSCLC. Lorne Cancer conference 2013, Lorne, Australia
- Ng SP, David S, Alamgeer M, Ganju V: Impact of pretreatment combined 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose (FDG) positron emission tomography/ computed tomography staging on radiotherapy treatment decisions in locally advanced breast cancer: a prospective evaluation. Accepted for oral presentation at American Society for Radiation Oncology annual scientific meeting, San Francisco, 2014
- Alamgeer M, White M, Kumar B, Stuckey J, Fox J, Hart S, Watkins DN, Ganju V: Prediction of axillary lymph node response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy (NAC) by changes in maximum standard uptake values (SUVmax) with 18FDG-PET (PET) imaging of the primary breast tumour: Submitted to European Society of Medical Oncology (ESMO) annual scientific meeting 2014
- Alamgeer M, Pick A, Ramdave et al. Investigating Phenotypic and Genomic Heterogeneity in Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma: JTO Jan 2017
- Alamgeer M, Briggs P, Markman B, et al. Updated Analysis of Phase II Study of HA-Irinotecan, a CD44-Targeting Formulation of Hyaluronic Acid and Irinotecan, in Small Cell Lung Cancer: Topic: Drug Treatment Alone and in Combination with Radiotherapy: JTO Jan 2017
- Menon S, Alamgeer M. Incidence of Unplanned Admissions During Chemotherapy for Head and Neck and Lung Cacners. Asia-Pacific Journal of Clinical Oncology 13, 131-131 (2017)
- Muttiah C, Alamgeer M. Retrospective Analysis of Thoracic Oncology at Monash Health 2016-2017 Specifically Investigating Prevlence of EGFR Mutated Lung Cancers. Aisa-Pacific Journal of Clinical Oncology 13, 162-162 (2017)
- Marshall L, Giddings C, Coleman A, Silvers MA, Alamgeer M. Head and Neck Cancers Audit of Chemotherapy at Monash Cancer Centre. Asia-Pacific Journal of Clinical Oncology 13, 186-186 (2017)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- International Association of Study in Lung Cancer
- Medical Oncology Group of Australia
- Australasian Lung Cancer Trial Group
- Australian Gastro-Intestinal Trials Group
- International Mesothelioma Interest Group
- Australasian Sarcoma Study Group
Member of RACP Somatic Cancer Advisory Committee
GRANTS & OTHER AWARDS
- Slater and Gordon Health Projects and Research Grant 2016
- Monash Senior Medical Staff Association Emerging Investigator Research Award 2016
- ‘Rising Star Researcher of 2015’ awarded by MHTP
- Monash Comprehensive Cancer Care research grant 2013
- Merit scholarships and awards (University of Peshawar)
Monday: 9am – 14pm
Tuesday: 9am – 12pm
Wednesday: 9am – 12pm
Friday: 9am – 14pm